About Summer Camp
2017 Careers in the Community Summer Camp
June 5 – August 18 (closed July 4, 2017)
Mon – Fri | 7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Join us this summer at the Chinese Community Center as we explore the many and varied careers in our community during our 11 weeks of summer camp entitled, Oh, The Places You’ll Go – Careers in the Community:
- Each week, students will have the chance to learn more about a particular career, hear from community members, and be encouraged to explore their interests as life-long career paths.
- All course materials will correspond to our summer theme and students will have a chance to learn all about the USA through our activities-based, hands-on curriculum, supplemented by fun and exciting field trips.
- Program content will meet TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) guidelines. Participating in summer learning will ensure students’ success in the upcoming school year and slow down what is traditionally known as summer learning loss.
- All staff are well trained and meet state mandated requirements. Knowledgeable and caring instructors teach students important life lessons and values such as morals, ethics, respect, and responsibility beyond classroom lessons.
The Chinese Community Center’s Child Development and Youth Programs participate in the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Child and Adult Care Food Program. Students are served nutritious meals that follow TDA’s meal guidelines. The program does not discriminate against any potential participant.
FEATURED THIS SUMMER:
- Fun and Interactive Career Exploration: Following our theme, students will meet community members in different career fields, learn what motivates them, and how the path they took to get to where they are now.
- Chinese Language Add-On:Optional interactive Mandarin Chinese language and culture classes give students the opportunity to attend 12 hours of Mandarin language and culture instruction during their weekly schedule.
- Weekly Programming:Our weekly programming allows flexibility for your family’s schedule. Sign up for the weeks that you want!
- Field trips:Every week, students will go on an engaging and exciting fieldtrip to explore all that Houston has to offer.
- Hands-On Learning:Teaching students academic concepts in fun, hands-on ways allows students to connect abstract concepts with real-world applications.
- STEM Curriculum from Children’s Museum of Houston:
- Students will work on fun, hands-on STEM activities in their twice-weekly Science class with curriculum created and overseen by staff from the Children’s Museum of Houston. CMH is one of the top children’s museum in the US and is known for their innovative activities and curriculum.
- Activities will feature the STEM disciplines and integrate English Language Arts, involving both design challenges and experiments. Topics covered this summer will be Human Body Systems, Archaeology, Acoustics, Nano-scale Science, Energy Conservation, Architecture, Biology, Habitats, Electricity and the Physics of Sports.
- Sports & Team Building:Students participate in team-building activities and sports such as table tennis and basketball every Friday and other days throughout the week.
- Splash Day:Students have the option of participating in water activities on Fridays.
- Summer Reading Program:Students between the grades of 3rd-8th grades will have the opportunity to participate in Book Clubs throughout the summer. Read a new book and discuss with your friends on a weekly basis, all while competing to win prizes.
- Transportation: to/from the new HISD Mandarin Immersion Magnet School (MIMS) campus or Feld Park next to MIMS old campus is available for an additional fee. Spaces are limited!
SPECIAL PROGRAMMING (FREE WITH SUMMER CAMP ENROLLMENT):
Special programming information coming soon.
YOUTH SUMMER CAMP VOLUNTEER
Thank you for showing interest in volunteering with our summer camp. Volunteer information coming soon.
Please fill out the registration form below and wait for the confirmation for your child’s seat at summer camp
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact Lisa To at 713-271-6100 ext. 110 or email@example.com