Want to own your own home, but don’t know where to start? Attend free homebuyer education at the Chinese Community Center.
The Chinese Community Center became a HUD approved agency in late 2008 and we are the only HUD approved agency in Texas with the ability to provide linguistically appropriate services in Chinese and Vietnamese. We are also a partner of the City of Houston’s Homebuyer Assistance Program. The Center’s financial education program is a participating organization for homebuyers who must complete at least eight (8) hours of homebuyer education to receive down payment assistance. Providing financial and homeowner education, the Chinese Community Center continues to benefit families paving their way to self-sufficiency.
Following are the programs that we offer under Homebuyer Education Program
- First Time Homebuyers Education
- Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Counseling
- Group Workshops for Homebuyers and Homeowners
First Time Homebuyers Education:
Taught by a certified housing counselor and with guest speakers from our local partners, the First Time Homebuyer Education workshop is an 8 hour course to assess participants’ readiness to buy a home, assist with money management and credit issues, give an understanding of options for financing a home, selecting a home and most importantly, provide the critical knowledge for maintaining a new home. Course also includes detailed education of requirements for local downpayment assistance programs. Participants gain a thorough knowledge of the homebuying process while at the same time finding local resources to help them achieve their goal.
First Time Homebuyers Education courses are held:
Every 3rd Friday of the month in English from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Pre-Registration is required.
- Attendees must attend and participate in all portions of the workshop to receive completion certificate.
- Children under 18 are not permitted in the workshop, please make arrangements for their care.
- Late registrants will not be admitted and will be asked to return to the next available workshop.
- All participants should bring a pen/pencil, paper for taking notes, and be prepared to create a budget of monthly expenses.
To register for workshop, please fill out the form below. If you need further assistance with registration, please contact front desk | 713-271-6100 ext 100
If you have additional questions besides registration, please contact: Raymond Nguyen | 713-271-6100 ext 225 | email@example.com or Katherine Tong | 713-271-6100 ext 128 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-Purchase Homebuyer Counseling:
A certified housing counselor will assist clients in a one-on-one setting to identify housing goals (including rental and purchase) and to create a plan to reach those goals, overcoming financial obstacles and preparing a path towards a sustainable housing future.
- One-on-one counseling for pre-purchase and rental assistance
- Money management for individual needs
- Affordability analysis: mortgage calculation or rental payments
- How to establish credit
- How to improve credit score
- How to apply for housing assistance
- Housing care and maintenance
To request a one-on-one counseling appointment for pre-purchase topics, contact: Raymond Nguyen | 713-271-6100 ext 225 | email@example.com, or
Katherine Tong | 713-271-6100 ext 128 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Group Workshops for Homebuyers and Homeowners
The qualified counselor will provide group seminars throughout the year for those preparing to purchase a home and those who currently own property. Topics range from financial literacy and capability to DIY techniques for improving home value and disaster preparedness.
Financial Literacy Workshop topics include:
- How to manage money by preparing a personal spending plan
- Available banking services and how to build a positive relationship with a financial institution
- How credit works and when to apply for credit
- How to read a credit report and how to build and repair credit history
- Ways to save money and achieving goals through savings
- How to protect finances and identity
Homeownership Workshop topics include:
- DIY Techniques to Improve Home Value
- Gardening and Landscaping Best Methods for Homeowners
- How to prepare your home and your family for a disaster
- Security Tips to Prevent Theft
- Feng Shui
- When to Consider Refinance
- Fair Housing Laws
- Greening Your Home for Energy Efficiency
See the full list of Workforce Development Services and the Workforce Calendar of events here: Workforce Development
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Resources
- File a Fair Housing Complaint https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint
- Buying a Home https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/buying_a_home
- HUD Rental Assistance Programs https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/rental_assistance
- For Your Protection: Get a Home Inspection https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=92564-cn.pdf
- Ten Important Questions to Ask Your Home Inspector https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/insp/inspfaq